Subject: [PATCH 00/11] [RFH] Introduce support for GETTEXT_POISON=rot13

From: "Johannes Schindelin via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2021 08:47:31 +0000

This patch series is incomplete because I lack the time to finish it, and I
hope that there are interested developers who can help with it.

In https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/,
Duy proposed introducing a fake language they called "Ook" to be able to
test translations better. "Ook" would "translate" messages without any
printf format specifiers to "Eek", otherwise convert all upper-case letters
to "Ook" and lower-case letters to "ook".

Gábor replied with a different proposal that has the advantage of being
bijective, i.e. it is possible to reconstruct the untranslated message from
the translated one.

Ævar suggested recently
[https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/T/#m6fdc43d4f1eb3f20f841096c59e985b69c84875e]
that this whole GETTEXT_POISON business is totally useless.

I do not believe that it is useless. To back up my belief with something
tangible, I implemented a GETTEXT_POISON=rot13 mode and ran the test suite
to see whether we erroneously expect translated messages where they aren't,
and related problems.

And the experiment delivered. It is just a demonstration (I only addressed a
handful of the test suite failures, 124 test scripts still need to be
inspected to find out why they fail), of course. Yet I think that finding
e.g. the missing translations of sha1dc-cb and parse-options show that it
would be very useful to complete this patch series and then use the rot13
mode in our CI jobs (instead of the current GETTEXT_POISON=true mode, which
really is less useful).

Note: in its current form, this patch series fails t0013 and t9902 in the
GETTEXT_POISON job
[https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/836/checks?check_run_id=1686715225#step:4:1590],
therefore it cannot be integrated into Git as-is, even if it does not switch
the GETTEXT_POISON job to use the rot13 mode yet.

Sadly, even though I want to see this patch series go further, I am
operating under serious time constraints and therefore had to admit to
myself, grudgingly, that I can't. So again, I hope that somebody else can
push this effort further.

Johannes Schindelin (11):
  tests: remove unnecessary GIT_TEST_GETTEXT_POISON=false constructs
  Support GIT_TEST_GETTEXT_POISON=rot13
  parse-options: add forgotten translations
  sha1dc: mark forgotten message for translation
  t0006: use `test_i18ncmp` only for C locales
  t0041: stop using `test_i18ngrep` on untranslated output
  t0027: mark a function as requiring the C locale
  t6301: do not expect the output of `for-each-ref` to be translated
  GETTEXT_POISON=rot13: do compare the output in `test_i18ncmp`
  GETTEXT_POISON=rot13: perform actual checks in `test_i18ngrep`
  test-tool i18n: do not complain about empty messages

 Makefile                       |   1 +
 gettext.c                      |  65 ++++++++++++++++-
 gettext.h                      |   5 +-
 parse-options-cb.c             |   4 +-
 sha1dc_git.c                   |   2 +-
 t/helper/test-i18n.c           | 129 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 t/helper/test-tool.c           |   1 +
 t/helper/test-tool.h           |   1 +
 t/t0006-date.sh                |   4 +-
 t/t0017-env-helper.sh          |   6 +-
 t/t0027-auto-crlf.sh           |   3 +
 t/t0041-usage.sh               |   2 +-
 t/t1305-config-include.sh      |   6 +-
 t/t6301-for-each-ref-errors.sh |   2 +-
 t/t7201-co.sh                  |   4 +-
 t/t9902-completion.sh          |   1 -
 t/test-lib-functions.sh        |  14 +++-
 t/test-lib.sh                  |   1 +
 18 files changed, 228 insertions(+), 23 deletions(-)
 create mode 100644 t/helper/test-i18n.c

base-commit: 72c4083ddf91b489b7b7b812df67ee8842177d98
Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-836%2Fdscho%2Fgettext-poison-should-rot13-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-836/dscho/gettext-poison-should-rot13-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/836
-- 
gitgitgadget