Subject: [PATCH 00/17] Refactor chunk-format into an API

From: "Derrick Stolee via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2021 16:01:09 +0000

This is a restart on the topic previously submitted [1] but dropped because
ak/corrected-commit-date was still in progress. This version is based on
that branch.

[1]
https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/

This version also changes the approach to use a more dynamic interaction
with a struct chunkfile pointer. This idea is credited to Taylor Blau [2],
but I started again from scratch. I also go further to make struct chunkfile
anonymous to API consumers. It is defined only in chunk-format.c, which
should hopefully deter future users from interacting with that data
directly.

[2] https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/

This combined API is beneficial to reduce duplicated logic. Or rather, to
ensure that similar file formats have similar protections against bad data.
The multi-pack-index code did not have as many guards as the commit-graph
code did, but now they both share a common base that checks for things like
duplicate chunks or offsets outside the size of the file.

Here are some stats for the end-to-end change:

 * 638 insertions(+), 456 deletions(-).
 * commit-graph.c: 171 insertions(+), 192 deletions(-)
 * midx.c: 196 insertions(+), 260 deletions(-)

While there is an overall increase to the code size, the consumers do get a
bit smaller. Boilerplate things like abstracting method to match
chunk_write_fn and chunk_read_fn make up a lot of these insertions. The
"interesting" code gets a lot smaller and cleaner.

Thanks, -Stolee

Derrick Stolee (17):
  commit-graph: anonymize data in chunk_write_fn
  chunk-format: create chunk format write API
  commit-graph: use chunk-format write API
  midx: rename pack_info to write_midx_context
  midx: use context in write_midx_pack_names()
  midx: add entries to write_midx_context
  midx: add pack_perm to write_midx_context
  midx: add num_large_offsets to write_midx_context
  midx: return success/failure in chunk write methods
  midx: drop chunk progress during write
  midx: use chunk-format API in write_midx_internal()
  chunk-format: create read chunk API
  commit-graph: use chunk-format read API
  midx: use chunk-format read API
  midx: use 64-bit multiplication for chunk sizes
  chunk-format: restore duplicate chunk checks
  chunk-format: add technical docs

 Documentation/technical/chunk-format.txt      |  54 +++
 .../technical/commit-graph-format.txt         |   3 +
 Documentation/technical/pack-format.txt       |   3 +
 Makefile                                      |   1 +
 chunk-format.c                                | 165 +++++++
 chunk-format.h                                |  41 ++
 commit-graph.c                                | 363 +++++++-------
 midx.c                                        | 456 ++++++++----------
 t/t5318-commit-graph.sh                       |   2 +-
 t/t5319-multi-pack-index.sh                   |   6 +-
 10 files changed, 638 insertions(+), 456 deletions(-)
 create mode 100644 Documentation/technical/chunk-format.txt
 create mode 100644 chunk-format.c
 create mode 100644 chunk-format.h

base-commit: 5a3b130cad0d5c770f766e3af6d32b41766374c0
Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-848%2Fderrickstolee%2Fchunk-format%2Frefactor-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-848/derrickstolee/chunk-format/refactor-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/848
-- 
gitgitgadget