Subject: [PATCH 0/6] Optionally restrict range-diff output to "left" or "right" range only

From: "Johannes Schindelin via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 2021 20:07:48 +0000

One of my quite common workflows is to see whether an ancient topic branch I
have lying about has made it into Git. Since my local commit OIDs have
nothing to do with the OIDs of the corresponding commits in git/git, my only
way is to fire up git range-diff ...upstream/master, but of course that
output contains way more commits than I care about.

To help this use case, here is a patch series that teaches git range-diff
the --left-only and --right-only options in the end, restricting the output
to those commits and commit pairs that correspond to the commits in the
first and the second range, respectively.

The first part of the series contains cleanup patches that are not strictly
related to the feature I implemented here, but since I already have them, I
figured I could just as well contribute them all together.

This patch series is based on js/range-diff-wo-dotdot.

Johannes Schindelin (6):
  range-diff: avoid leaking memory in two error code paths
  range-diff: libify the read_patches() function again
  range-diff: simplify code spawning `git log`
  range-diff: combine all options in a single data structure
  range-diff: move the diffopt initialization down one layer
  range-diff: offer --left-only/--right-only options

 Documentation/git-range-diff.txt |   9 +++
 builtin/log.c                    |  10 ++-
 builtin/range-diff.c             |  21 +++++--
 log-tree.c                       |   8 ++-
 range-diff.c                     | 101 +++++++++++++++++--------------
 range-diff.h                     |  12 +++-
 t/t3206-range-diff.sh            |  15 +++++
 7 files changed, 118 insertions(+), 58 deletions(-)

base-commit: 43718f6741a87f87bd400bdf5264394e980583c5
Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-869%2Fdscho%2Frange-diff-left-and-right-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-869/dscho/range-diff-left-and-right-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/869
-- 
gitgitgadget