Subject: [PATCH] doc: mention bigFileThreshold for packing

From: "Christian Walther via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2021 19:07:03 +0000

From: Christian Walther <[email-masked]>

Knowing about the core.bigFileThreshold configuration variable is
helpful when examining pack file size differences between repositories.
Add a reference to it to the manpages a user is likely to read in this
situation.

Signed-off-by: Christian Walther <[email-masked]>
---
    doc: mention bigFileThreshold for packing
    
    I recently spent a lot of time trying to figure out why git repack would
    create huge packs on some clones of my repository and small ones on
    others, until I found out about the existence of the
    core.bigFileThreshold configuration variable, which happened to be set
    on some and not on others. It would have saved me a lot of time if that
    variable had been mentioned in the relevant manpages that I was reading,
    git-repack and git-pack-objects. So this patch adds that.

Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-872%2Fcwalther%2Fdeltadoc-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-872/cwalther/deltadoc-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/872

 Documentation/git-pack-objects.txt | 4 ++++
 Documentation/git-repack.txt       | 4 ++++
 2 files changed, 8 insertions(+)

diff --git a/Documentation/git-pack-objects.txt b/Documentation/git-pack-objects.txt
index 54d715ead137..59150ded4bef 100644
--- a/Documentation/git-pack-objects.txt
+++ b/Documentation/git-pack-objects.txt
@@ -97,6 +97,10 @@ base-name::
 	side, because delta data needs to be applied that many
 	times to get to the necessary object.
 +
+Note that delta compression is never used on objects larger than the
+`core.bigFileThreshold` configuration variable (see
+linkgit:git-config[1]).
++
 The default value for --window is 10 and --depth is 50. The maximum
 depth is 4095.
 
diff --git a/Documentation/git-repack.txt b/Documentation/git-repack.txt
index 92f146d27dc3..0a7038ec4ad8 100644
--- a/Documentation/git-repack.txt
+++ b/Documentation/git-repack.txt
@@ -96,6 +96,10 @@ to the new separate pack will be written.
 	affects the performance on the unpacker side, because delta data needs
 	to be applied that many times to get to the necessary object.
 +
+Note that delta compression is never used on objects larger than the
+`core.bigFileThreshold` configuration variable (see
+linkgit:git-config[1]).
++
 The default value for --window is 10 and --depth is 50. The maximum
 depth is 4095.

base-commit: fb7fa4a1fd273f22efcafdd13c7f897814fd1eb9
-- 
gitgitgadget