Subject: [PATCH 0/2] Fix fsck --name-objects bug

From: "Johannes Schindelin via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2021 18:01:28 +0000

As described in https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/873, I managed to
corrupt my Git checkout in a rather thorough manner yesterday, and it took
me a long time to undo the damage. One of my tools for that should have been
git fsck --name-objects, but that command produced bogus output: It said
that a commit with the name ~2 had a missing tree, but ~2 is not even a
legal rev name.

Turns out that this is an ancient bug, and the fact that nobody complained
about it suggests to me that the --name-objects probably has exactly one
user, and he uses it only every four years, when he manages to hose his Git
checkout.

Johannes Schindelin (2):
  t1450: robustify `remove_object()`
  fsck --name-objects: be more careful parsing generation numbers

 fsck.c          |  5 +++++
 t/t1450-fsck.sh | 26 ++++++++++++--------------
 2 files changed, 17 insertions(+), 14 deletions(-)

base-commit: 7397ca33730626f682845f8691b39c305535611e
Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-874%2Fdscho%2Ffix-fsck-name-objects-generation-parsing-bug-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-874/dscho/fix-fsck-name-objects-generation-parsing-bug-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/874
-- 
gitgitgadget