Subject: [PATCH 0/3] Make test selection easier by specifying description substrings instead of just numeric counters

From: "Elijah Newren via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2020 23:26:01 +0000

This patch series enables me to change

 ./t9999-my-test.sh --run=1-3,5,17,19

into

 ./t9999-my-test.sh --run=setup,rename,symlink

and have it pick out tests with "setup", "rename", or "symlink" in their
description and run those. Saves me a lot of time, especially since numbers
for tests aren't readily accessible. The easiest way for me to get the
numbers corresponding to the tests I want to run, is to run all the tests
and look at the output to match up the descriptions with their numbers --
thus defeating the point of selecting just a subset of the tests to run in
the first place.

Elijah Newren (3):
  test-lib: allow selecting tests by substring/regex with --run
  t6006, t6012: adjust tests to use 'setup' instead of synonyms
  test-lib: reduce verbosity of skipped tests

 t/README                     | 26 +++++++++++++++++------
 t/t0000-basic.sh             | 41 ++++++++++++++++++++++--------------
 t/t6006-rev-list-format.sh   |  2 +-
 t/t6012-rev-list-simplify.sh |  2 +-
 t/test-lib.sh                | 15 +++++++------
 5 files changed, 54 insertions(+), 32 deletions(-)

base-commit: d98273ba77e1ab9ec755576bc86c716a97bf59d7
Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-git-878%2Fnewren%2Ftest-selection-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-git-878/newren/test-selection-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/git/git/pull/878
-- 
gitgitgadget