Subject: [PATCH v6 0/3] Make test selection easier by specifying description substrings instead of just numeric counters

From: "Elijah Newren via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2020 00:23:44 +0000

This patch series enables me to change

 ./t9999-my-test.sh --run=1-3,5,17,19

into

 ./t9999-my-test.sh --run=setup,rename,symlink

and have it pick out tests with "setup", "rename", or "symlink" in their
description and run those. Saves me a lot of time, especially since numbers
for tests aren't readily accessible. The easiest way for me to get the
numbers corresponding to the tests I want to run, is to run all the tests
and look at the output to match up the descriptions with their numbers --
thus defeating the point of selecting just a subset of the tests to run in
the first place.

Changes since v5:

 * Update comment to match the code (selectors are now only split on commas,
   not on whitespace)

Elijah Newren (3):
  test-lib: allow selecting tests by substring/glob with --run
  t6006, t6012: adjust tests to use 'setup' instead of synonyms
  test-lib: reduce verbosity of skipped tests

 t/README                     | 48 ++++++++++++++++++++------------
 t/t0000-basic.sh             | 53 +++++++++++++++++++++---------------
 t/t6006-rev-list-format.sh   |  2 +-
 t/t6012-rev-list-simplify.sh |  2 +-
 t/test-lib.sh                | 21 ++++++++------
 5 files changed, 76 insertions(+), 50 deletions(-)

base-commit: d98273ba77e1ab9ec755576bc86c716a97bf59d7
Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-git-878%2Fnewren%2Ftest-selection-v6
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-git-878/newren/test-selection-v6
Pull-Request: https://github.com/git/git/pull/878

Range-diff vs v5:

 1:  389c2c171a ! 1:  0355c88882 test-lib: allow selecting tests by substring/glob with --run
     @@ t/test-lib.sh: match_pattern_list () {
       	title="$1"
       	shift
       	arg="$1"
     -@@ t/test-lib.sh: match_test_selector_list () {
     + 	shift
     + 	test -z "$1" && return 0
       
     - 	# Both commas and whitespace are accepted as separators.
     +-	# Both commas and whitespace are accepted as separators.
     ++	# Commas are accepted as separators.
       	OLDIFS=$IFS
      -	IFS=' 	,'
      +	IFS=','
 2:  7c7a3d9a34 = 2:  3cc9abf461 t6006, t6012: adjust tests to use 'setup' instead of synonyms
 3:  01494bc0ba = 3:  0af7835487 test-lib: reduce verbosity of skipped tests

-- 
gitgitgadget