Subject: [PATCH] t7518: fix flaky grep invocation

From: "Elijah Newren via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2020 23:39:54 +0000

From: Elijah Newren <[email-masked]>

t7518.1 added in commit 862e80a413 ("ident: handle NULL email when
complaining of empty name", 2017-02-23), was trying to make sure that
the test with an empty ident did not segfault and did not result in
glibc quiety translating a NULL pointer into a name of "(null)".  It did
the latter by ensuring that a grep for "null" didn't appear in the
output, but on one automatic CI run I observed the following output:

fatal: empty ident name (for <[email-masked]>) not allowed

Note that 'null' appears as a substring of the domain name, found
within 'gcliasfzo2nullsdbrimjtbyhg'.  Tighten the test by searching for
"(null)" rather than "null".

Signed-off-by: Elijah Newren <[email-masked]>
---
    t7518: fix flaky grep invocation

Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-git-884%2Fnewren%2Ffix-flaky-t7518-grep-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-git-884/newren/fix-flaky-t7518-grep-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/git/git/pull/884

 t/t7518-ident-corner-cases.sh | 2 +-
 1 file changed, 1 insertion(+), 1 deletion(-)

diff --git a/t/t7518-ident-corner-cases.sh b/t/t7518-ident-corner-cases.sh
index dc3e9c8c88..905957bd0a 100755
--- a/t/t7518-ident-corner-cases.sh
+++ b/t/t7518-ident-corner-cases.sh
@@ -13,7 +13,7 @@ test_expect_success 'empty name and missing email' '
 		sane_unset GIT_AUTHOR_EMAIL &&
 		GIT_AUTHOR_NAME= &&
 		test_must_fail git commit --allow-empty -m foo 2>err &&
-		test_i18ngrep ! null err
+		test_i18ngrep ! "(null)" err
 	)
 '

base-commit: d4a392452e292ff924e79ec8458611c0f679d6d4
-- 
gitgitgadget