Subject: [PATCH 0/2] [Outreachy][Patch v1] t9832,t2200: avoid using pipes in git related commands

From: "Amanda Shafack via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2020 16:02:30 +0000

When the upstream of a pipe throws an error, the downstream still executes
normally. This happens because the exit code of the upstream in a pipe is
ignored. This behavior can make debugging very hard in case a test fails.
Also, pipes are prone to deadlocks. If the upstream gets full, the commands
downstream will never start.

Write out the output of the git command to a file, so as to test the exit
codes of both commands.

Commit c6f44e1da5 (t9813: avoid using pipes, 2017-01-04) noticed that the
exit code of upstream in the pipe is ignored, thus using pipes should be
avoided.

Signed-off-by: Amanda Shafack [email-masked]
[[email-masked]]

Amanda  Shafack (1):
  t2200: modify code syntax

Amanda Shafack (1):
  t9832,t2200: avoid using pipes in git commands

 t/t2200-add-update.sh | 3 ++-
 t/t9832-unshelve.sh   | 3 ++-
 2 files changed, 4 insertions(+), 2 deletions(-)

base-commit: a5fa49ff0a8f3252c6bff49f92b85e7683868f8a
Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-git-885%2Flkmandy%2Favoid-pipes-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-git-885/lkmandy/avoid-pipes-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/git/git/pull/885
-- 
gitgitgadget