Subject: [PATCH 0/2] Declare merge-ort ready for general usage

From: "Elijah Newren via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2021 04:05:00 +0000

This tiny series depends on ort-perf-batch-10[1].

If the ort-remainder topic[2] is merged with this series, then the result is
a version of merge-ort ready for general usage. Users can select it by (a)
passing -sort to either git merge or git rebase, or (b) by setting
pull.twohead=ort [3], or (c) by setting GIT_TEST_MERGE_ALGORITHM=ort.

There are still more optimizations that will be submitted for merge-ort, but
folks don't need to wait for all of them to start using it. The version of
merge-ort that comes from merging both these topics will run the testsuite
cleanly under GIT_MERGE_TEST_ALGORITHM=ort, which includes passing every
test that merge-recursive does and passing dozens of tests that
merge-recursive doesn't. merge-ort is also already significantly faster than
merge-recursive when rename detection is involved.

I'll send out a separate email later requesting feedback about what people
would like to see before switching the default from merge-recursive to
merge-ort.

[1]
https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/
[2]
https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/
[3] See commit 14c4586c2d ("merge,rebase,revert: select ort or recursive by
config or environment", 2020-11-02)

Elijah Newren (2):
  Revert "merge-ort: ignore the directory rename split conflict for now"
  t6423: mark remaining expected failure under merge-ort as such

 merge-ort.c                         | 13 +------------
 t/t6423-merge-rename-directories.sh |  2 +-
 2 files changed, 2 insertions(+), 13 deletions(-)

base-commit: ac0ba91ce275227f5df8f16fb986308ff88b198b
Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-905%2Fgitgitgadget%2Fort-readiness-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-905/gitgitgadget/ort-readiness-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/905
-- 
gitgitgadget