Subject: [PATCH 0/3] Add helpful advice about init.defaultBranch

From: "Johannes Schindelin via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2020 23:23:23 +0000

It is our designated intention
[https://sfconservancy.org/news/2020/jun/23/gitbranchname/] to "to explore
changing the name of the first branch created automatically for new
repositories away from ‘master’". Further, we promised that we "will
minimize disruption for Git's users and will include appropriate deprecation
periods".

To that end, introduce a message giving advice to users running git init 
that the fall-back for init.defaultBranch is subject to change, and how to
configure it.

The beauty of this patch series, if I may say so, is that it does not commit
us to any concrete plan, but opens the door for all options regarding the
default branch name.

Johannes Schindelin (3):
  init: document `init.defaultBranch` better
  get_default_branch_name(): prepare for showing some advice
  init: provide useful advice about init.defaultBranch

 Documentation/git-init.txt    | 11 +++++++----
 builtin/clone.c               |  2 +-
 builtin/init-db.c             |  8 +++++---
 refs.c                        | 19 +++++++++++++++----
 refs.h                        |  4 ++--
 remote.c                      |  5 +++--
 t/t0001-init.sh               |  9 ++++++++-
 t/t1510-repo-setup.sh         |  2 +-
 t/t7414-submodule-mistakes.sh |  2 +-
 t/test-lib-functions.sh       |  3 ++-
 10 files changed, 45 insertions(+), 20 deletions(-)

base-commit: faefdd61ec7c7f6f3c8c9907891465ac9a2a1475
Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-git-921%2Fdscho%2Finit.defaultBranch-advice-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-git-921/dscho/init.defaultBranch-advice-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/git/git/pull/921
-- 
gitgitgadget