Subject: [PATCH] doc: remove "directory cache" from man pages

From: "Utku Gultopu via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 2021 16:54:56 +0000

From: Utku Gultopu <[email-masked]>

"directory cache" (or "directory cache index", "cache") are obsolete
terms which have been superseded by "index". Keeping them in the
documentation may be a source of confusion. This commit replaces
them with the current term, "index", on man pages.

Signed-off-by: Utku Gultopu <[email-masked]>
---
    doc: remove "directory cache" from man pages
    
    "directory cache" (or "directory cache index", "cache") are obsolete
    terms which have been superseded by "index". Keeping them in the
    documentation may be a source of confusion. This commit replaces them
    with the current term, "index", on man pages.

Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-git-943%2Fugultopu%2Fremove-directory-cache-from-man-pages-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-git-943/ugultopu/remove-directory-cache-from-man-pages-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/git/git/pull/943

 Documentation/git-ls-files.txt     | 5 ++---
 Documentation/git-update-index.txt | 5 ++---
 2 files changed, 4 insertions(+), 6 deletions(-)

diff --git a/Documentation/git-ls-files.txt b/Documentation/git-ls-files.txt
index cbcf5263dd0..0a3b5265b34 100644
--- a/Documentation/git-ls-files.txt
+++ b/Documentation/git-ls-files.txt
@@ -23,9 +23,8 @@ SYNOPSIS
 
 DESCRIPTION
 -----------
-This merges the file listing in the directory cache index with the
-actual working directory list, and shows different combinations of the
-two.
+This merges the file listing in the index with the actual working
+directory list, and shows different combinations of the two.
 
 One or more of the options below may be used to determine the files
 shown:
diff --git a/Documentation/git-update-index.txt b/Documentation/git-update-index.txt
index 1489cb09a09..2853f168d97 100644
--- a/Documentation/git-update-index.txt
+++ b/Documentation/git-update-index.txt
@@ -30,9 +30,8 @@ SYNOPSIS
 
 DESCRIPTION
 -----------
-Modifies the index or directory cache. Each file mentioned is updated
-into the index and any 'unmerged' or 'needs updating' state is
-cleared.
+Modifies the index. Each file mentioned is updated into the index and
+any 'unmerged' or 'needs updating' state is cleared.
 
 See also linkgit:git-add[1] for a more user-friendly way to do some of
 the most common operations on the index.

base-commit: 72c4083ddf91b489b7b7b812df67ee8842177d98
-- 
gitgitgadget