Subject: [PATCH 0/5] Sparse index: integrate with commit and checkout

From: "Derrick Stolee via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2021 02:13:01 +0000

This series extends our integration of sparse-index to 'git commit' and 'git
checkout'.

This is based on ds/status-with-sparse-index (v7) and v2.32.0. The hard work
was already done in that topic, so these changes are simple.

Recall that we have delayed our integration with 'git add' until we can work
out the concerns about how to deal with pathspecs outside of the
sparse-checkout definition. Those concerns might have some overlap with how
'git commit' takes a pathspec, but this seems like a rare enough case to
handle here and we can be more careful with the behavior change in the next
series which will integrate with git add.

In addition to the tests that already exist in t1092, I have integrated
these changes in microsoft/git and tested them against the Scalar functional
tests, which go through quite a few complicated scenarios, verifying that
things work the same across the full index and sparse-index cases.

Thanks, -Stolee

Derrick Stolee (5):
  p2000: add 'git checkout -' test and decrease depth
  p2000: compress repo names
  commit: integrate with sparse-index
  sparse-index: recompute cache-tree
  checkout: stop expanding sparse indexes

 builtin/checkout.c                       |  8 ++--
 builtin/commit.c                         |  3 ++
 cache-tree.c                             |  2 -
 sparse-index.c                           |  2 +
 t/perf/p2000-sparse-operations.sh        | 47 ++++++++++++--------
 t/t1092-sparse-checkout-compatibility.sh | 55 ++++++++++++++++++++++--
 6 files changed, 89 insertions(+), 28 deletions(-)

base-commit: 1d744848ee6b58ccaf3a30f20abe9797ed5d2ce7
Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-973%2Fderrickstolee%2Fsparse-index%2Fcommit-and-checkout-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-973/derrickstolee/sparse-index/commit-and-checkout-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/973
-- 
gitgitgadget