Subject: [PATCH 0/4] Use singular "they" when appropriate

From: "Derrick Stolee via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2021 16:57:44 +0000

In another topic, I claimed [1] that singular "they" was better than
"he/she" for gender neutrality.

[1]
https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/

The fact that singular "they" is less awkward to write and read seemed
obvious to me, so I did not back up my statement with any references or
reasons. The ensuing discussion did include reasons, especially brian m.
carlson's thoughtful message [2].

[2] https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/

This patch series officially adopts singular "they" as a contributor
guideline; see Patch 4 for the change to the guidelines and the reasoning
for the change. Before modifying the guidelines, documentation and comments
are updated to not use gendered pronouns, which provides examples of how to
use it.

I would appreciate ACKs in support on patch 4.

Thanks, -Stolee

Derrick Stolee (4):
  Documentation: use singular they when appropriate
  *: use singular they in comments
  *: fix typos
  CodingGuidelines: recommend singular they

 Documentation/CodingGuidelines                |  5 +++
 Documentation/SubmittingPatches               |  2 +-
 Documentation/git-push.txt                    |  4 +-
 .../using-signed-tag-in-pull-request.txt      | 38 +++++++++----------
 Documentation/user-manual.txt                 |  2 +-
 commit.c                                      |  2 +-
 config.c                                      |  2 +-
 config.h                                      |  2 +-
 contrib/hooks/multimail/git_multimail.py      |  4 +-
 date.c                                        |  2 +-
 pathspec.h                                    |  2 +-
 strbuf.h                                      |  2 +-
 t/t9300-fast-import.sh                        |  2 +-
 wt-status.c                                   |  2 +-
 14 files changed, 38 insertions(+), 33 deletions(-)

base-commit: c09b6306c6ca275ed9d0348a8c8014b2ff723cfb
Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-975%2Fderrickstolee%2Fthey-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-975/derrickstolee/they-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/975
-- 
gitgitgadget