Subject: [PATCH 0/2] Fix git subtree on Windows

From: "Johannes Schindelin via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2021 09:13:29 +0000

In the topic branch ls/subtree, we saw a lot of improvements of the git
subtree command, and some cleaning up, too. For example, 22d550749361
(subtree: don't fuss with PATH, 2021-04-27) carefully laid out a history of
changes intended to work around issues where the git-subtree script was not
in the intended location, and removed a statement modifying PATH in favor of
a conditional warning (contingent on the PATH being in an unexpected shape).

This particular condition, however, was never tested on Windows, and it
broke git subtree in Git for Windows v2.32.0, as reported here
[https://github.com/git-for-windows/git/issues/3260]. Now, every invocation
of git subtree, with or without command-line arguments, results in output
like this:

It looks like either your git installation or your
git-subtree installation is broken.

Tips:
 - If `git --exec-path` does not print the correct path to
   your git install directory, then set the GIT_EXEC_PATH
   environment variable to the correct directory.
 - Make sure that your `git-core\git-subtree` file is either in your
   PATH or in your git exec path (`C:/Users/harry/Downloads/PortableGit/mingw64/libexec/git-core`).
 - You should run git-subtree as `git core\git-subtree`,
   not as `git-core\git-subtree`.

This patch series provides a band-aid to that symptom, and is based on
ls/subtree.

Johannes Schindelin (2):
  subtree: fix the GIT_EXEC_PATH sanity check to work on Windows
  subtree: fix assumption about the directory separator

 contrib/subtree/git-subtree.sh | 16 ++++++++++++----
 1 file changed, 12 insertions(+), 4 deletions(-)

base-commit: 9a3e3ca2ba869f9fef9f8be390ed45457565ccd1
Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-978%2Fdscho%2Ffix-subtree-on-windows-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-978/dscho/fix-subtree-on-windows-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/978
-- 
gitgitgadget