Subject: [PATCH 0/8] [GSOC][RFC] cat-file: reuse ref-filter logic

From: "ZheNing Hu via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2021 11:14:09 +0000

This patch series make cat-file reuse ref-filter logic, which based on
5a5b5f78 ([GSOC] ref-filter: add %(rest) atom)

 1. Modified the logic of cat-file --batch, use verify_ref_format() and
    format_ref_array_item() to get object data.
 2. Re-implement --textconv, --filters.

Now cat-file can support most ref-filter atoms, like %(tree), %(parent),
%(if)...

There is still an unresolved issue: performance overhead is very large, so
that when we use:

git cat-file --batch --batch-all-objects >/dev/null

on git.git, it may fail.

ZheNing Hu (8):
  [GSOC] ref-filter: add obj-type check in grab contents
  [GSOC] ref-filter: add %(raw) atom
  [GSOC] ref-filter: use non-const ref_format in *_atom_parser()
  [GSOC] ref-filter: add %(rest) atom
  [GSOC] ref-filter: teach get_object() return useful value
  [GSOC] cat-file: reuse ref-filter logic
  [GSOC] cat-file: reuse err buf in batch_objet_write()
  [GSOC] cat-file: re-implement --textconv, --filters options

 Documentation/git-cat-file.txt     |   6 +
 Documentation/git-for-each-ref.txt |   9 +
 builtin/cat-file.c                 | 267 ++++++------------------
 builtin/tag.c                      |   2 +-
 ref-filter.c                       | 320 +++++++++++++++++++++++------
 ref-filter.h                       |  13 +-
 t/t1006-cat-file.sh                | 252 +++++++++++++++++++++++
 t/t3203-branch-output.sh           |   4 +
 t/t6300-for-each-ref.sh            | 211 +++++++++++++++++++
 t/t6301-for-each-ref-errors.sh     |   2 +-
 t/t7004-tag.sh                     |   4 +
 t/t7030-verify-tag.sh              |   4 +
 12 files changed, 818 insertions(+), 276 deletions(-)

base-commit: 1197f1a46360d3ae96bd9c15908a3a6f8e562207
Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-980%2Fadlternative%2Fcat-file-batch-refactor-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-980/adlternative/cat-file-batch-refactor-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/980
-- 
gitgitgadget