Subject: [PATCH 0/3] Empty untracked cache performance issue

From: "Tao Klerks via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2021 18:29:58 +0000

This patchset addresses a performance issue with untracked cache. When a new
untracked cache structure is added to the index but remains empty,
subsequent "git status" calls populate it but do not write the index - so
they perform as though the index were disabled.

This situation can be caused in several different ways:

 * Running "git update-index --untracked-cache" on a repo that did not have
   the untracked cache
 * Modifying the git configuration to enable untracked cache, but then
   immediately running "git status -uall", causing the untracked cache to be
   created, but not used/populated (and the index written).
 * (likely others)

The patchset includes fixes to t7519, which otherwise starts failing because
it wasn't testing what it intended to.

Tao Klerks (3):
  Add a second's delay to t7519 for untracked cache
  In t7519, populate untracked cache before test
  Write index when populating empty untracked cache

 dir.c                       | 14 +++++++++++---
 t/t7519-status-fsmonitor.sh |  6 ++++++
 2 files changed, 17 insertions(+), 3 deletions(-)

base-commit: ebf3c04b262aa27fbb97f8a0156c2347fecafafb
Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-986%2FTaoK%2Ftaok-empty-untracked-cache-bug-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-986/TaoK/taok-empty-untracked-cache-bug-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/986
-- 
gitgitgadget