Subject: [PATCH] doc: shortlog: put back trailer paragraphs

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2026 18:59:42 +0100

From: Kristoffer Haugsbakk <[email-masked]>

47beb37b (shortlog: match commit trailers with --group, 2020-09-27)
added the `trailer` bullet point with three paragraphs.[1] Later,
3dc95e09 (shortlog: support arbitrary commit format `--group`s,
2022-10-24) put the single-paragraph bullet point about `format` right
after the first paragraph about `trailer`. That meant that the second
and third paragraphs for `trailer` got moved to `format`.

Move the two paragraphs back to `trailer`. We now also need one blank
line before the final bullet point so that it does not get joined with
the second bullet point.

† 1: Technically the bullet list formatting was immediately fixed to
     include all three paragraphs in 63d24fa0 (shortlog: allow multiple
     groups to be specified, 2020-09-27)

Signed-off-by: Kristoffer Haugsbakk <[email-masked]>
---
 Documentation/git-shortlog.adoc | 7 ++++---
 1 file changed, 4 insertions(+), 3 deletions(-)

diff --git a/Documentation/git-shortlog.adoc b/Documentation/git-shortlog.adoc
index aa92800c69c..a11b57c1cd7 100644
--- a/Documentation/git-shortlog.adoc
+++ b/Documentation/git-shortlog.adoc
@@ -64,9 +64,6 @@ Each pretty-printed commit will be rewrapped before it is shown.
    example, if your project uses `Reviewed-by` trailers, you might want
    to see who has been reviewing with
    `git shortlog -ns --group=trailer:reviewed-by`.
- - `format:<format>`, any string accepted by the `--format` option of
-   'git log'. (See the "PRETTY FORMATS" section of
-   linkgit:git-log[1].)
 +
 Note that commits that do not include the trailer will not be counted.
 Likewise, commits with multiple trailers (e.g., multiple signoffs) may
@@ -77,6 +74,10 @@ Shortlog will attempt to parse each trailer value as a `name <email>`
 identity. If successful, the mailmap is applied and the email is omitted
 unless the `--email` option is specified. If the value cannot be parsed
 as an identity, it will be taken literally and completely.
+
+ - `format:<format>`, any string accepted by the `--format` option of
+   'git log'. (See the "PRETTY FORMATS" section of
+   linkgit:git-log[1].)
 --
 +
 If `--group` is specified multiple times, commits are counted under each

base-commit: 9a2fb147f2c61d0cab52c883e7e26f5b7948e3ed
-- 
2.53.0.13.gc85a2adbf80