Subject: Re: StGIT vs. guilt: What's the difference?

From: Catalin Marinas <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 15:59:24 +0100

Karl Hasselström <[email-masked]> wrote:
> On 2007-06-14 14:55:54 -0700, Steven Grimm wrote:
>
>> I've asked this on IRC a couple times and nobody seemed to have a
>> good answer, so: These two tools seem like they are solving the same
>> general problem using similar approaches. They are both under active
>> development. In what areas is each of them stronger than the other?
>> Why would one choose to use one of them instead of the other?
>
> I have never had a close look at guilt, but from what I remember it
> stores patches as plain old plaintext patches (corrections to this
> statement welcome). StGIT uses git's object database.

I haven't tried quilt either but, if it uses plain text patches, the
disadvantage might be the losing of the three-way merge when pushing a
patch onto the stack. The solution is to remember which commit the
patch applies to, switch the tree, apply the patch and merge with
HEAD.

Are the guilt patches accessible as commit objects at the top of the
stack?

StGIT might have some more features as it is older but I see a lot of
development is going on with guilt. Another difference is that StGIT
is written in Python and guilt uses shell scripts (some people don't
like the dependency on Python).

I would welcome such a discussion (so please keep me cc'ed) as we can
share the experience with various issues.

-- 
Catalin