Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/1] Tell vim the textwidth is 75.

From: Catalin Marinas <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 11:37:05 +0100

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> wrote:
> I do not do Porcelain, but wouldn't it be nicer if we had a
> Porcelain neutral "commit log template file" under $GIT_DIR
> somewhere?  'vim: textwidth=75' is completely useless for
> somebody like me (I almost always work inside Emacs).

StGIT uses .git/patchdescr.tmpl as the template, where people can put
the a line like "STG: vim: textwidth=75" which will be automatically
removed. I won't include this patch since it is up to the user to
define whatever setting he/she wants for his editor (I use emacs
myself and add something like "STG: -*- mode: text; -*-" on the first
line)

> Cogito seems to use $GIT_DIR/commit-template for that purpose.
> Can't users put that "vim:" hint there, and if StGIT does not
> use a commit template, patch it to use the same file as Cogito
> does?

I would use a neutral commit template, only that it should have a
neutral prefix as well for the lines to be removed (neither STG nor CG
but GIT maybe). The $GIT_DIR/commit-template is fine as a file name.

-- 
Catalin