Subject: Re: Stacked GIT 0.1 (a.k.a. quilt for git)

From: Catalin Marinas <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2005 22:43:04 +0100

Jon Seymour <[email-masked]> wrote:
> I also think it would be good if patches extracted from git
> repositories included some information about exactly where the patch
> was extracted from...something like...
>
> signed-off-by: Name <[email-masked]>
> ---
> commit: sha1 -> sha1
> tree: sha1 -> sha1
>
> The reason for including the commits is to allow the maintainer to
> track exactly where the a given rev of a patch was from. The reason
> for including the treeids is to allow appliers to verify that the
> patch has produced the same result as the patch submitter.

See my (long) reply to Daniel. A StGIT patch is a collection of git
commits, mixed in time with commits for other patches. There might not
be a single author. For example, I create a patch called
'stabilisation' where I gather different git changesets from different
authors and commit them one by one.

I think what you mean is similar to the cg-mkpatch command. The 'stg
export' is totally different. While it might be possible to generate a
set of changesets for a StGIT patch, this is not intended for the near
future.

-- 
Catalin