Subject: Re: full kernel history, in patchset format

From: Catalin Marinas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 09:33:21 +0100

David Mansfield <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Catalin Marinas wrote:
>> AFAIK, cvsps uses the date/time to create the changesets. There is a
>> problem with the BKCVS export since some files in the same commit can
>> have a different time (by an hour). I posted a mail some time ago
>> about this -
>> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=110026570201544&w=2
>> I read that the old history won't be merged into the new repository
>> but, if you are interested, I have a script that can do this based on
>> the "(Logical change ...)" string in the file commit logs and it is
>> quite fast at generating the patches.
>>
>
> Hmmm.  I read that message just now.  Is it a matter of 'perfection'
> that is the issue here, or actual correctness when applying the
> patches in order?

I see it as a matter of correctness since in a given BKCVS changeset
(i.e. revision in the ChangeSet,v file) you may miss files. You would
eventually get them, with the same log, but in a different patch. If
you don't care about this, you can call it 'perfection'.

At that time I thought about modifying cvsps to use the "(Logical
change ...)" string instead of time/date for grouping the files but I
realised it is easier with a shell script.

> (perhaps this has now been fixed).

There was no reply to this e-mail. It might have been fixed in the
meantime but I don't think the history was fixed as well.

-- 
Catalin