Subject: Re: use of temporary refs in resolve

From: Catalin Marinas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2005 10:07:25 +0100

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> wrote:
> If you are happy then I should not complain ;-), and I am
> certainly not complaining, but I still have this feeling that I
> do not get what you are getting at.  You can change it to
> directly use pull without intermediate fetch, in order to cope
> with what?

I shouldn't have said anything :-).

StGIT implements a pull command which pops all the patches from the
stack, pulls the latest remote changes and pushes the patches back. I
was lazy and I implemented the pulling stage by simply calling
git-fetch-script and advancing the base of the stack to the value in
FETCH_HEAD. I didn't have any special reason for this and I could have
used git-pull-script instead and not rely on the presence of
FETCH_HEAD. I don't have any preference here.

> Could you explain how you currently do things, and
> what changes I will be making would break the way you currently
> do things please?

If you plan to implement multiple values in FETCH_HEAD, StGIT won't be
able to use this since it doesn't do any merging for the base of the
stack. As I said above, this is not a problem and I was probably wrong
when decided to use git-fetch-script directly and not git-pull-script.

Please let me know if you need more info.

-- 
Catalin