Subject: Re: GSoC 2016: applications open, libgit2 and git.git

From: Matthieu Moy <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2016 09:06:23 +0100

Carlos Martín Nieto <[email-masked]> writes:

> We still have most of the same things open as for the 2014 list. I'll
> ask around to see if we have. Last year I wasn't involved in the
> candidate selection but IIRC we didn't do a project as none of the
> applications showed the candidates would be capable of doing the
> project they were applying for.

OK. It's essentially too late to change this for this year, but next
time we should discuss earlier about how we want to organize this
git.git/libgit2 thing. For example, I think it would make little sense
to have a git.git microproject and then apply for a libgit2 project
since we have very different ways of interacting. And honnestly, right
now the application is really git.git-centric so I don't think it
attracts students towards libgit2. So, if you want to attract more
students, we should work on that.

I tried to clarify the situation with libgit2:

https://github.com/git/git.github.io/commit/94d1747eb9621b3bc892be2f232338b7933ac271

Please say if you're happy/unhappy with what I wrote. PRs are still
welcome after the deadline.

> I'll ask around to make sure people would be able to be mentors, but I
> think that we would still like to put forward a few projects (I can
> send a PR with the projects that we would still like to see to the 2016
> page).

We don't have this everywhere, but having a "potential mentors" field
for projects also helps (students, and us, at least to make sure we do
have mentors).

Cheers,

-- 
Matthieu Moy
http://www-verimag.imag.fr/~moy/