Subject: Re: [PATCH/RFC 1/2] git-rebase -i: Add key word "drop" to remove a commit

From: Matthieu Moy <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 May 2015 17:04:09 +0200

Remi Galan Alfonso <[email-masked]> writes:

> It also has some effects with the second part of this patch (checks
> removed and/or duplicated commits): if you comment the line, the
> commit will be considered as removed, thus ending in a warning if the
> config variable is set to warn/error; however this problem won't
> appear with noop.

Indeed, that's the whole point of having a "drop" command.

As an advice for your next submission: use "git send-email
--cover-letter", and explain the overall idea before the patches.

I personally prefer "drop" to "noop" as a command name: I understand
"noop" as a command without argument (useful to say "this is actually an
empty list of commands, not an empty file to ask rebase to abort"), but
I find it weird to write

noop <sha1> <title>

As Remi wrote, the inspiration comes from Mercurial. Perhaps we should
ask on the mercurial ml how happy they are with the name.

-- 
Matthieu Moy
http://www-verimag.imag.fr/~moy/