Subject: Re: [PATCH] commit: suggest --amend --reset-author to fix commiter identity

From: Matthieu Moy <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2011 11:56:00 +0100

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:

> I don't think making the "cheat-sheet" insn longer by offering more
> choices is a good idea.  These are messages for lazy and busy
> people.

The reason I kept both forms was that the message is designed to be
seen once (or once for each new machine one works on), and the most
scary it is, the most efficient ;-). 

> Wouldn't it work better to just get rid of the longer form and say
> something like:
>
>     ... here is how to tell your name to git (existing message) ...
>
>     After doing the above, run
>
>     	git commit --amend --reset-author
>
>     to fix the identity used for this commit.

I'm fine with that proposal too. I'll resend with that if no one
objects. Probalby rewording it to

After doing this, you can fix the identity used for this commit with:

  git commit --amend --reset-author

would make it even concisier (no break of the sentence with a
command).

-- 
Matthieu Moy
http://www-verimag.imag.fr/~moy/