Subject: Re: [RFC/PATCH] rebase -i: add run command to launch a shell command

From: Matthieu Moy <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 16:26:54 +0200

Santi Béjar <[email-masked]> writes:

> $ git run HEAD^4.. command arguments
>
> (I'm not quite sure about the syntax). Something like "git bisect run"
> but for all the commits in the range.
>
>  I know you said "given points in history", maybe each approach is
> useful for each use case.

Yes, I think both approaches make sense.

The cool thing with my version is that you're already in an
interactive rebase, which means:

* You can re-order commits, rebase them on upstream branch, and check
  the result in one pass.

* You're ready to ammend commits if they need fixing.

Also, you may not need to re-check everything for each commit. You may
want a todo-list like this

pick deadbee log.c: do something
run make
pick c0ffeee Documentation for something
run make doc

or whatever. Note also that this "git run" can easily be implemented
on top of my patch:

GIT_EDITOR="sed -i 's/^[^#].*/\0\nrun make/'" git rebase -i

we can also imagine a "git rebase -i --run=cmd" that would prepare a
todo-list with "run cmd" after each pick line.

-- 
Matthieu Moy
http://www-verimag.imag.fr/~moy/