Subject: Re: GSoC 2017: application open, deadline = February 9, 2017

From: Matthieu Moy <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2017 15:54:25 +0100

Jeff King <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Mon, Jan 23, 2017 at 04:02:02PM +0100, Matthieu Moy wrote:
>
>> * We need to write the application, i.e. essentially polish and update
>>   the text here: https://git.github.io/SoC-2016-Org-Application/ and
>>   update the list of project ideas and microprojects :
>>   https://git.github.io/SoC-2017-Ideas/
>>   https://git.github.io/SoC-2016-Microprojects/
>
> That can be done incrementally by people who care (especially mentors)
> over the next week or so, and doesn't require any real admin
> coordination. If it happens and the result looks good, then the
> application process is pretty straightforward.
>
> If it doesn't, then we probably ought not to participate in GSoC.

OK, it seems the last message did not raise a lot of enthousiasm (unless
I missed some off-list discussion at Git-Merge?).

The application deadline is tomorrow. I think it's time to admit that we
won't participate this year, unless someone steps in really soon.

If we don't participate, I'll add a disclaimer at the top of the
SoC-related pages on git.github.io to make sure students don't waste
time preparing an application.

-- 
Matthieu Moy
http://www-verimag.imag.fr/~moy/