Subject: Re: Changing the default for "core.abbrev"?

From: Matthieu Moy <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2016 08:33:52 +0200

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:

> I am not opposed to bump the default to 12 or whatever, but I
> suspect any lengthening today may need to be accompanied by a tool
> support that finds the set of objects that are reachable from a
> commit whose names begin with non-unique abbreviations that appear
> in the commit log message.

Something much simpler would be to set core.abbrev at clone time,
depending on the size of the project just cloned. So, when cloning a
hello-world, we'd keep the 7 but when cloning a big project we'd get a
larger value.

This doesn't cover the case of someone growing his own project without
cloning, and isn't as clever as actually looking for colision, but it
would probably provide a sane default in 99% cases, and wouldn't be
worse than hardcoding 7 in the 1% remaining cases.

-- 
Matthieu Moy
http://www-verimag.imag.fr/~moy/