Subject: Re: Empty config sections are neither deleted nor reused

From: Matthieu Moy <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 May 2016 17:10:47 +0200

Jonas Bernoulli <[email-masked]> writes:

>> The configuration sections can have comments and they are preserved
>> even when they become empty.  Adding something unrelated will still
>> make it appear the stale comment applies to it.
>
> Now that you mention it, I think I have read that before.  Unfortunately
> I forgot about it until you reminded me.  I would still prefer if empty
> sections were removed and/or reused provided no comment is nearby, but
> now that you reminded me why the current behavior is how it is, I can
> live with it.

Junio's explanation must not necessarily be read as "it has to be the
way it is", but more as "getting it right is harder than you think", and
that in turn explains why no one changed the behavior.

Actually, Tanay Abhra's GSoC two years ago included working on this, but
the project had other priorities and the empty sections issue was not
tackled.

-- 
Matthieu Moy
http://www-verimag.imag.fr/~moy/