Subject: Re: First time gitr - have some questions

From: Matthieu Moy <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 21:55:14 +0100

toltmanns <[email-masked]> writes:

> First off, I may be in the wrong place, but I need a sanity check here.
>
> I've downloaded and am attempting to use the git bash app, trying to issue
> the following command and am getting fatal: Not a git repository
>
> git submodule add [email-masked]:toltmanns/steal.git public/steal

> I went through directions here -
> http://www.javascriptmvc.com/docs/getstarted.html#&who=install

That page says, just above the command you're trying:

  "You want to fork each project and add it as a submodule to your
   project"

which you should read as

  "At this point, you should have a Git project (i.e. repository) of
  your own, and you can add our projects as subprojects of yours"

which probably implies that you should read some Git tutorial to learn
how to deal with your own project before trying to understand
submodules ;-).

-- 
Matthieu Moy
http://www-verimag.imag.fr/~moy/