Subject: Re: [PUB]What's cooking in git.git (Aug 2015, #05; Fri, 28)

From: Matthieu Moy <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2015 19:16:37 +0200

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:

> Matthieu Moy <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:
>>
>>> * ad/bisect-terms (2015-08-03) 4 commits
>>>  - bisect: allow setting any user-specified in 'git bisect start'
>>>  - bisect: add 'git bisect terms' to view the current terms
>>>  - bisect: add the terms old/new
>>>  - bisect: sanity check on terms
>>>
>>>  The use of 'good/bad' in "git bisect" made it confusing to use when
>>>  hunting for a state change that is not a regression (e.g. bugfix).
>>>  The command learned 'old/new' and then allows the end user to
>>>  say e.g. "bisect start --term-old=fast --term=new=slow" to find a
>>>  performance regression.
>>>
>>>  Michael's idea to make 'good/bad' more intelligent does have
>>>  certain attractiveness ($gname/272867), and makes some of the work
>>>  on this topic a moot point.
>>>
>>>  Will hold.
>>
>> This topic has been there for a while and unless I missed a discussion,
>> nothing happened. While I agree that Michael's idea is good and makes
>> this series less useful, I think this topic also makes sense.
>>
>> I'd be in favor of merging it.
>
> "Nothing happened" is never a good enough reason to argue for
> merging new stuff, but now you are starting a discussion here, let's
> see where it takes us to.  I am neutral myself at this moment.

Right, but my feeling after the previous discussion was that people were
mostly in favor of merging the changes (i.e. allowing user-defined
bisect terms), but we wanted to make sure we didn't get any objection on
second thought, hence it was a good thing to have an extended cooking
period.

To add arguments in favor of merging: even if we get the "auto swap
good/bad", having user-defined terms can still help for situations where
the change between states does not correspond to a situation where one
state is 'good' and one is 'bad' eg. --term-old=red --term-new=blue.

-- 
Matthieu Moy
http://www-verimag.imag.fr/~moy/