Subject: Re: [PATCH v5 5/8] branch: drop non-commit error reporting

From: Matthieu Moy <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2015 21:16:20 +0200

Karthik Nayak <[email-masked]> writes:

> Remove the error reporting variable to make the code easier to port
> over to using ref-filter APIs. This variable

(it's not just a variable, it's also a message on the output)

> is not required as in ref-filter we already check for possible errors
> and report them.

You should explain more why the check is redundant with the ones in
ref-filter. You discussed this with Junio on the last round. The
arguments you gave would deserve to appear in the commit message IMHO.
Pointing to the exact checks in ref-filter would help.

It may make sense to split the commit into several smaller ones, so that
you can give a precise commit message for each error reporting you
remove (error(_("branch '%s' does not point at a commit") and
error(_("some refs could not be read"))).

-- 
Matthieu Moy
http://www-verimag.imag.fr/~moy/