Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/2] git-bisect.sh : create a file if the bisection is in old/new mode, named "BISECT_OLDNEWMODE", so it can easily be seen outside the program without having to read BISECT_TERMS. This will have to be changed in further versions if new terms are introduced.

From: Matthieu Moy <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Jun 2015 13:48:32 +0200

Eric Sunshine <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Fri, Jun 5, 2015 at 12:34 PM, Louis Stuber
> <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> git-bisect.sh :

No space before : in english.

>> create a file if the bisection is in old/new mode, named
>> "BISECT_OLDNEWMODE", so it can easily be seen outside the program
>> without having to read BISECT_TERMS. This will have to be changed in
>> further versions if new terms are introduced.
>
> Documentation/SubmittingPatches contains instructions for how to write
> a good commit message.

For french-speaking people, and Ensimag students in particular, I'd add

  http://ensiwiki.ensimag.fr/index.php/%C3%89crire_de_bons_messages_de_commit_avec_Git

> Also, wrap the commit message to 70-72 columns.

As much as possible, the summary line should even be shorter (so that
"git log --oneline" fits on a 80-chars terminal).

> This commit message doesn't do a very good job of explaining the
> problem this change is trying to solve or justifying why this solution
> is preferable.

Actually, the commit message explains one reason why this is not a good
solution: the idea of having $GIT_DIR/BISECT_TERMS was to keep the
solution generic.

Had the initial codebase been better factored, this patch series would
have been really trivial, but we hardcoded "good" and "bad" in many
places, and now changing it is hard. Introducing BISECT_TERMS is a step
forward, it avoids hardcoding the terms here and there in the code.
To me, introducing BISECT_OLDNEWMODE is a step backward, it's one more
place where we hardcode the terms.

> Justification is particularly important considering the
> ominous-sounding final sentence of the commit message (which itself
> seems to imply that this is not a very good change).

Ah, indeed, we're saying the same thing.

>> -                               echo "old" >>"$GIT_DIR/BISECT_TERMS"
>> +                               echo "old" >>"$GIT_DIR/BISECT_TERMS" &&
>> +                               echo "" > "$GIT_DIR/BISECT_OLDNEWMODE"

No space after > (noted by Eric elsewhere)

-- 
Matthieu Moy
http://www-verimag.imag.fr/~moy/