Subject: Re: On git 1.6 (novice's opinion)

From: Matthieu Moy <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 14:44:13 +0100

"Ulrich Windl" <[email-masked]> writes:

> I don't understand:
> If I modify files, then do a make, then do check-in/check-out (and the file times 
> are unchanged), how would that affect make?

>>From "make"'s point of view, chechout is just a modification of the
file (as any other modification you would do with a text editor). If
you compile foo.c to foo.o, then checkout another version of foo.c,
then you want foo.c to be recompiled. If checkout modifies the
timestamp to pretend it was modified before foo.o, then make thinks
the file is up to date.

> If I do an "update/merge from remote" (there is no total ordering of release 
> numbers anyway) without a "make clean" before, I'm having a problem
> anyway.

No, you don't have a problem. Recompiling files after they're modified
is the job of make, and it just does it. make doesn't know about
revision numbers or identifiers, just timestamps.

-- 
Matthieu