Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] Example Cogito Addon - cogito-bundle

From: Matthieu Moy <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2006 12:09:04 +0200

Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]> writes:

> Ah, that explains this. So why people use bundles instead of patches
> (with some metainfo like commit message)?

You need more metainfo than the commit message. Since revision-id is
not based on the content, you need at least to specify the
revision-id.

And bzr's bundle give indeed _all_ the information that is in the
repository about this revision (i.e. commit message, ancestors, ...).

Another relevant difference between a patch and a bundle is that the
bundles knows its ancestor, so, when you apply the bundle, it builds
the new revision with exact patching. If you need a merge, then it
will happen exactly in the same way as a merge between two branches
(ie. three-way merge for example).

> And do bzr have command to apply in correct ordering series of
> bundles send either chain replied to (each patch in the series is
> reply to previous patch) or being replies to patchseries
> introductory message?

Not directly AFAIK, but since the bundle knows which revision it
applies to, it will refuse to apply the second if the first one is not
in your repository already for example.

It would probably be interesting to have more features to help sending
series of bundles and apply them, but no one have been really asking
for it up to now.

-- 
Matthieu