Subject: Re: [Opinion gathering] Git remote whitelist/blacklist

From: Matthieu Moy <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2016 21:22:39 +0200

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Tue, May 24, 2016 at 5:55 AM, Matthieu Moy
> <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> So, when trying a forbidden push, Git would deny it and the only way to
>> force the push would be to remove the blacklist from the config, right?
>>
>> Probably the sanest way to go. I thought about adding a "git push
>> --force-even-if-in-blacklist" or so, but I don't think the feature
>> deserves one specific option (hence add some noise in `git push -h`).
>
> Yeah, I agree --even-if-in-blacklist is a road to madness, but I wonder
> how this is different from setting pushURL to /dev/null or something
> illegal and replace that phony configuration value when you really need
> to push?

Changing pushURL is something you can do per-repo, but the
whitelist/blacklist could be done user-wide or even system-wide
(typically, if the sysadmin has control on everybody's /etc/gitconfig,
there can be a default policy to prevent accidental push to some URLs).

-- 
Matthieu Moy
http://www-verimag.imag.fr/~moy/