Subject: Re: [PATCH 10/10] t/t9001-send-email.sh: get rid of unnecessary backquotes

From: Matthieu Moy <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 2016 15:52:12 +0100

Elia Pinto <[email-masked]> writes:

> Instead of making the shell expand 00* and invoke 'echo' with it,
> and then capturing its output as command substitution, just use
> the result of expanding 00* directly.

This is not actually how it happens. cover=`echo *` expands the * before
the assignment to $cover, while cover="*" assigns a litteral * to
$cover.

Then, when you use $cover, the variable is expanded to * and then it is
expanded to filenames here:

>  	mv $cover cover-to-edit.patch &&

On the other hand, this instance of $cover is quoted, hence the
*-expansion won't happen:

>  	perl -pe "s/^From:/$header: extra\@address.com\nFrom:/" cover-to-edit.patch >"$cover" &&

So, I believe this patch is not correct.

OTOH, patches 1 to 9 look good to me.

-- 
Matthieu Moy
http://www-verimag.imag.fr/~moy/