Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/4] ref-filter: add ref-filter API

From: Matthieu Moy <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 May 2015 08:44:47 +0200

karthik nayak <[email-masked]> writes:

>> I miss a high-level description of what the code is doing. Essentially,
>> there's the complete repository list of refs, and you want to filter
>> only some of them, right?
>>
>>  From the name, I would guess that ref_filter is the structure describing
>> how you are filtering, but from the code it seems to be the list you're
>> filtering, not the filter.
>
> Reading this again, A bit confused by what you're trying to imply.
> Could you rephrase please?

At some point, I'd expect something like

  filtered_list_of_refs = filer(full_list_of_refs, description_of_filter);

That would remove some refs from full_list_of_refs according to
description_of_filter.

(totally invented code, only to show the idea)

If there's a piece of code looking like this, then you need a data
structure to store list of refs (full_list_of_refs and
filtered_list_of_refs) and another to describe what you're doing with it
(description_of_filter).

The name ref_filter implies to me that it contains the description of
the filter, but looking at the code it doesn't seem to be the case.

-- 
Matthieu Moy
http://www-verimag.imag.fr/~moy/