Subject: Re: GSoC 2016: applications open, deadline = Fri, 19/2

From: Matthieu Moy <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2016 12:21:43 +0100

Jeff King <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Fri, Feb 12, 2016 at 08:10:34AM +0100, Matthieu Moy wrote:
>
>> So, that makes it 4 possible co-mentors, i.e. 2 potential slots. Not
>> much, but it starts looking like last year ... ;-).
>> 
>> Peff, would you be willing to co-admin with me (that would be cool, you
>> are the one with most experience here and you know the SFC stuff for
>> payment)? Are there any other co-admin volunteer?
>
> Yes, I'm willing to co-admin (though I'm also happy to step aside for
> somebody else if they would like to do it).

Cool!

> The biggest task there is getting the application together. I went
> through the account creation steps at the site (which is different this
> year), and the application questions are:
>
>  - Why does your org want to participate in Google Summer of Code?
>
>  - How many potential mentors have agreed to mentor this year?
>
>  - How will you keep mentors engaged with their students?
>
>  - How will you help your students stay on schedule to complete their projects?
>
>  - How will you get your students involved in your community during GSoC?
>
>  - How will you keep students involved with your community after GSoC?
>
>  - Has your org been accepted as a mentoring org in Google Summer of Code before?
>
>  - Are you part of a foundation/umbrella organization?
>
>  - What year was your project started? 
>
> I think we can pull most of these answers from previous-year
> applications, but I haven't looked yet. In years past we collaborated
> on the answers via the git.github.io site, and I pasted them in place.

I started working on it.

http://git.github.io/SoC-2015-Org-Application/ => the application itself.
Mostly cut-and-paste from last year, but the questions have changed a
bit. There's a "Remarks on the current state of the application" section
at the end for stuff I wasn't sure about.

This is the urgent part, we won't have an opportunity to modify it after
the deadline.

Less urgent, but we need to add more stuff to be credible:

http://git.github.io/SoC-2016-Ideas/ => Ideas page. I removed the
completed project, and updated some other to reflect the current state
of Git. I think "Convert scripts to builtins" is still feasible this
year, but probably harder (we can't say "start with git-pull.sh"
anymore ...). Johannes: you're still interested I guess?

http://git.github.io/SoC-2016-Microprojects/ => I just did s/2015/2016/.
I think most projects are not valid anymore, and we need new ones.

To all: please contribute to these pages, either by sending patches here
(CC: me and peff), pushing directly if you have access, or submitting
pull-requests. The repo is https://github.com/git/git.github.io/.

Thanks,

-- 
Matthieu Moy
http://www-verimag.imag.fr/~moy/