Subject: Re: [Announce] submitGit for patch submission (was "Diffing submodule does not yield complete logs")

From: Matthieu Moy <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 May 2015 18:14:07 +0200

Roberto Tyley <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hello, I'm stepping up to do that work :) Or at least, I'm implementing a
> one-way GitHub PR -> Mailing list tool, called submitGit:
>
> https://submitgit.herokuapp.com/

This is absolutely awsome. A few thoughts after testing the system to
send two patches:

* This is awesome :-). Really.

* I found no way to specify a version like [PATCH v2 ...]. Similarly,
  there could be a way to say [RFC/PATCH ...].

* I'm used to 'git send-email' and I have an alias to add the --signoff
  for me. I just sent a series where I forgot the signed-off-by. The
  system could warn if I didn't signoff.

* I had a text+subject for the pull-request, I was expecting a cover
  letter email with them.

* A simple way to add "below-triple-dash" comments would be cool. For
  now, I guess we can do this by having the --- within the commit
  message.

* The explanation on how to register one's email were unclear to me. It
  told me that I had to register my email without telling how, and that
  I had to send the series to myself before. Once I sent the series to
  myself I got better explanation, hence reversing the order of the
  advices would already be an improvement.

* The link to the original PR could be more visible. For now, I can get
  to the PR by clicking the octocat icon, but perhaps a text "click here
  to view the PR on GitHub" or a link on the whole title would have been
  easier to find.

* I missed a way to specify In-reply-to: to follow up to my previous
  version.

* The submitGit link on the top left does nothing for me. I would expect
  to come back to the home page of submitGit.

* For completess: Junio just noticed in another thread that the patch
  order is reversed, PATCH 2/2 predates PATCH 1/2 and the second is
  In-Reply-To: the first.

* I was about to suggest that you post a comment on the GitHub pull
  request when sending the email, but it is already the case, with a
  link to Gmane. Very very cool.

* Did I mention how awesome the application is already? 'Cause it really
  is!

Thanks a lot for doing this!

-- 
Matthieu Moy
http://www-verimag.imag.fr/~moy/