Subject: Re: [FAQ?] Rationale for git's way to manage the index

From: Matthieu Moy <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 May 2007 10:02:59 +0200

Johannes Schindelin <[email-masked]> writes:

> Just another reason to hate CVS. Because it trained people to do that. If 
> it was not for the training by CVS, I would have strongly opposed to the 
> introduction of the "-m" switch to commit. It _encourages_ bad commit 
> messages.

Well, this really depends on the use-case, size of commit, ...

I often use a version control system for very low importance stuff. I
don't want to type a 3-lines long message to describe a 2-lines long
change in my ~/.emacs.el for example. I also work with people using
(sorry) svn to work collaboratively, but they don't even provide a log
message: the version control system here is just a replacement for
unison/NFS/whatever other way to have people edit files from different
machines.

For sure, in a context where code quality and review is important, 
-m "xxx" isn't the way (except if you prefer your shell's line editor
to your actual editor).

-- 
Matthieu