Subject: Re: Memory overrun in http-push.c

From: Matthieu Moy <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2007 16:30:11 +0100

Andy Parkins <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Friday 2007 March 02 14:38, Jakub Narebski wrote:
>
>> First, keyword expansion on checkout (CVS-like) is an abomination;
>> the proper way is to do it on _build_ time, like git and Linux kernel
>
> What about my SVG example?  There is no build time, the file is the file.

Same with manually written HTML, or even just plain text files, or ...

A typical other example is when you're working with people having some
kind of alergy to revision control systems. Then, you have to send the
source, and they send you back the modified source. That's very hard
to manage without some kind of timestamp within the file.

However, I have to admit that workflows requiring keyword expansions
still appear dirty to me.

A (dirty too) solution is to have a pre-commit hook that would update
the keywords for each modified file. Then, the keyword is in the
source itself.

-- 
Matthieu