Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/3] rebase -i: drop, missing commits and static checks

From: Matthieu Moy <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2015 17:39:19 +0200

Remi Galan Alfonso <[email-masked]> writes:

> Galan Rémi <[email-masked]> writes:
>> Shouldn't all the checking also be called in a 'rebase --continue',
>> considering that it can be called after a 'rebase --edit-todo' ?
>> (Right now it is only called after closing the editor in 'rebase -i')
>
> What's your opinion on it?

It would probably be better to run the check when running "git rebase
--continue". This way, we would have a guarantee that the todo-list is
syntactically correct when going through it.

Just checking after --edit-todo would not guarantee that:

  $ git rebase --edit-todo
  # Add some syntax errors, save and quit
  Warning: the command isn't recognized ...
  
  # Hmm, let's ignore that warning
  $ git rebase --continue
  Unknown command: ...
  Please fix this using 'git rebase --edit-todo'

But in any case, the most important is the initial edition. It covers
99.9% of use-cases. So, I'd say: if you have time to add the checks at
the other relevant places, good, but not doing it shouldn't block the
inclusion of the series.

-- 
Matthieu Moy
http://www-verimag.imag.fr/~moy/