Subject: Re: [PATCH] introduce git root

From: Matthieu Moy <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2014 21:00:35 +0100

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:

> Jeff King <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Christian raised the issue of cluttering the "git --option"
>> namespace,
>> and I do agree that's a potential issue. 
>
> I am not sure if that is an issue at all. You will need the same
> number of options to cover all the necessary "computables" somewhere
> anyway.
>
> "git --show-this-or-that-computable" is not more or not less
> cluttering compared to "git var --show-this-or-that-computable".

I disagree.

Right now, a user reading "man git" sees --version, --help, -C,
--exec-path, --html-path, --man-path, ... at a flat list (it's actually
the first thing he can read from the man page).

The point of having commands is to make the features hierarchic. "git
rebase" do many things, but these things are all grouped under the
command "git rebase".

Indeed, I would find "git var" to be a nice place to group the "show me
such or such path". Not sure it's worth the trouble of changing the
existing "git --*-path", but I think "git var" should be the place for
new things.

-- 
Matthieu Moy
http://www-verimag.imag.fr/~moy/