Subject: Re: git push default behaviour?

From: Matthieu Moy <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2012 12:54:00 +0100

Carlos Martín Nieto <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Thu, 2012-03-08 at 10:13 +0000, Jeremy Morton wrote:
>> Right, so I guess I'm saying that the default value for push.default
>> should be upstream instead of matching...
>
> Any default is going to leave some people unhappy. If upstream is the
> right thing for you, then that's what you should use. Most questions I
> see about push not doing what the users expect would actually benefit
> from 'current'. 'matching' is a fairly safe default, as it won't try to
> push private branches or changes in private branches that track
> something upstream.

There were some discussions about changing the default, and I thought
people agreed that 'upstream' was a better default value for
push.default:

  http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/167149

it needs to be done with a sane migration path, however, and I guess no
one stepped in to start the process (but I may have missed some further
discussions).

-- 
Matthieu Moy
http://www-verimag.imag.fr/~moy/