Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 04/10] ref-filter: add support to sort by version

From: Matthieu Moy <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Jul 2015 15:29:40 +0200

Karthik Nayak <[email-masked]> writes:

> Add support to sort by version using the "v:refname" and
> "version:refname" option. This is achieved by using the
> 'version_cmp()' function as the comparing function for qsort.

You should elaborate on why you need this. Given the context, I can
guess that you will need this to implement tag, but for example I first
wondered why you needed both version: and v:, but I guess it comes from
the fact that 'git tag --sort' can take version:refname or v:refname.

I think this deserves a test and documentation in for-each-ref.txt.

As-is, the code is a bit hard to understand. I first saw you were
allowing

  git for-each-ref --format '%(version:refname)'

(which you are, but only as a side effect), and then understood that
this was also allowing

  git for-each-ref --sort version:refname

A test would have shown me this immediately. Some hints in the commit
message would clearly have helped too.

-- 
Matthieu Moy
http://www-verimag.imag.fr/~moy/