Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 2/4] log: add --count option to git log

From: Matthieu Moy <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Jul 2015 11:16:35 +0200

Hi,

Please, don't top-post on this list. Quote the parts you're replying to
and reply below.

Lawrence Siebert <[email-masked]> writes:

> traverse_commit_list requires a function to be passed to it.  That
> said, after further review it can probably pass NULL and have it work
> fine.  If not, I'll use your naming convention.

If possible, passing NULL would be best.

> `git rev-list --count` (or actually `git rev-list --count HEAD`, which
> this borrows the code from, produces a single value, a numeric count.
> I think walking the entire list is necessary to get the final value,
> which is what we want with --count.

OK, that was me answering emails before coffee. I thought --count was
producing the count _in addition_ to the normal output. But then I don't
understand by looking at the code how you prevent the normal output. I
just tested, and indeed it does work (I guess all the magic is already
there from "rev-list --count", and it was more or less a bug that "log
--count" was not using it properly), but you may want to explain better
what's going on in the commit message.

-- 
Matthieu Moy
http://www-verimag.imag.fr/~moy/