Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/3] git help: group common commands by theme

From: Matthieu Moy <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 May 2015 09:59:20 +0200

Sébastien Guimmara <[email-masked]> writes:

>    * examining the history and state:
>       log        Show commit logs
>       status     Show the working tree status
>
>    * growing, marking and tweaking your history:
>       branch     List, create, or delete branches
>       checkout   Checkout a branch or paths to the working tree
>       commit     Record changes to the repository
>       diff       Show changes between commits, commit and working [...]
>       merge      Join two or more development histories together

I would have put "diff" next to "status" in the "examining the history
and state" section. It's neither growing, marking nor tweaking the
history.

> I removed from the list of common commands: rebase, rm, mv, bisect 
> because [1] they are not really common to an unfamiliar user,

I tend to agree for rebase and bisect (even though showing them to
beginners may give them a hint on why Git can be good for them).

But removing rm and mv seems weird. It seems to me that the obvious
question of someone who just learnt "add" would be "and how do I do the
opposite?".

-- 
Matthieu Moy
http://www-verimag.imag.fr/~moy/