Subject: Re: [RFC PATCH] git add -p: new "quit" command at the prompt.

From: Matthieu Moy <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2009 14:45:23 +0200

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:

> Matthieu Moy <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> There's already 'd' to stop staging hunks in a file, but no command to
>> stop the interactive staging (for the current files and the remaining
>> ones). This patch implements this functionality, and binds it to 'q'.
>> ---
>>
>> I'm not familiar at all with the code in git-add--interactive.perl, so
>> my code is mostly cut-and-pasted+adapted from the 'd' command.
>
> You can say 'd' and then ^C, I think.

Yes, you /can/, and that's what I'm doing right now in this situation.
But that's undocumented, not so intuitive (I found out I could do that
after trying ^C alone, which doesn't work, staged content is recorded
on disk at the end of the file only, not after each prompt), ...

I thought the situation was common enough to deserve an explicit
command. The 'd' command is natural for "git add -i" + patch
subcommand, but for "git add -p", I found 'd' mostly useless, and I
really want a "quit" command.

Sure, I can live without it, but if other people would like to have
it, please speak now ;-).

-- 
Matthieu